Amazing Opporturnity for an Advanced Practice Provider NP or PA- Inpatient Burn Unit-Night Shift
- - Providers
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Vacation, CME & Tuition Reimbursement
Eskenazi Medical Group (EMG) is seeking a highly qualified Nurse Practitioner or Physcian Assistant for Inpatient Burn to join its team. EMG is affiliated with Eskenazi Health and employs physician and advanced practice providers who support the Eskenazi Health system. A multi-specialty provider group, it strives to be a leading primary care provider serving all patients regardless of ability to pay or condition of health while advancing medicine through teaching and research.
Eskenazi Health is one of American's largest safety net health systems with more than 1 million outpatient visits each year. Partnering with the Indiana University School of Medicine, Eskenazi Health serves as the public hospital division of the Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County, Indiana. In addition to the 327-bed hospital located on its downtown Indianapolis campus, Eskenazi Health provides services at 10 federally qualified health care centers and multiple mental health sites and residential facilities located throughout Indianapolis. Eskenazi Health is accredited by The Joint Commission and has been highlighted as one of the nation's 150 best places to work by Becker's Hospital Review for four consecutive years.
Indianapolis offers affordable housing, excellent schools and a wealth of entertainment options, including a variety of amateur and professional sports teams, dynamic museums, live theater productions, symphony and opera concerts, a wide variety of shopping options and restaurants, and numerous outdoor festivals, as well as the famous Indy 500 race each May.
The Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant focuses on surgery patients in the hospital and in outpatient care. The scope of the patients may include, but not limited to: acute burn, burn reconstruction, aesthetics, breast reconstruction, hand, maxillofacial, and general reconstruction surgeries. The NP/PA provides restorative, curative, rehabilitative, palliative, and maintenance care.
SUPPLEMENTAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Manages and directs surgical inpatient and outpatient burn patients in a surgical/ICU care setting.
• Serves as a health care provider for patients admitted to the burn ICU, under indirect physician supervision.
• Responsible for critical care and step down admissions with indirect supervision from on call physician.
• Provides full coverage to burn surgery inpatient and outpatient services.
• Provides cross coverage to plastic surgery patients as directed by collaborating physician.
• Orders routine and special laboratory test, radiograph studies, EKGs and interprets their results.
• Prescribes medications according to Standards of Practice.
• Provides admission history and physical exam, progress notes, doctor's orders (cosigned within 24 hours).
• Responds to service calls when physicians are in surgery
• Maintains membership in various committees within the Burn Center and attends as required.
• Participates in burn performance improvement projects and presentations to include but no limited to daily and weekly burn rounds, weekly burn conference, multidisciplinary committee work, journal clubs, mortality and morbidity review for the burn service.
• Prepares letters to physicians, government agencies, nursing homes and home health providers in order to assist in providing for patients needs and to assist staff medical officers with providing reoccurring and long-term care.
• Assists the institution to prepare for JCAHO accreditation and American Burn Association Certification.
• Contact patients and family members to arrange for surgical consents before operations and special procedures. Gathers and exchanges information with the patients and family members.
• Consults with medical personnel to exchange information and plan operative actions/procedures
necessary to meet the needs of the patient and contribute to the patient's care.
• Surveillance of care
• Provides non emergent and/or in house on call services for hospitalized patients as needed under the direction of burn medical director.
• Obtains prescriptive authority based on state guidelines once practice hours are achieved and maintains required CMEs. Prescribes medications from the approved list.
• Orders preoperative and post-operative laboratory tests and radiographic studies. Interprets results and treats as appropriate
• Special privileges and skills:
o Venous/arterial pressure monitoring devices
o I & D
o Wound irrigation and debridement,
o Excision and grafting of burn wounds under the supervision of the surgeon
o Selects and obtains skin grafts from donor sites.
o Wound care and dressing changes
o Removal of skin sutures
o Performs escharotomy under indirect physician supervision (requires special privileging)
o Assist with operative fasciotomies
o Compartment pressure measurement
o Adjustment of ventilators and their settings,
o Intubation and extubation
o First or second assist in burn cases under direct supervision of the surgeon.
• Specialty certification if available and appropriate
Eskenazi Health system commitment: We will
Expect collegial and multidisciplinary approaches to problem solving from all providers working in our system.
Respect clinician autonomy where evidence for a standard of care has yet to be developed. Different approaches should be evaluated to determine the optimal ones, which should then be adopted broadly. Care pathways will be assessed based on quality/outcomes, effects on workflow, and costs.
Commit ourselves to improvement in quality, processes, and the work environment.
Share information openly regarding vision, mission, and strategy, and the progress towards meeting those targets.
Provide timely reporting on quality, volume, financial, and other operations metrics to providers.
Improve chains of communication between providers and administration to make decision making and problem solving as transparent as possible.
Promote Eskenazi Health as a superior learning environment for undergraduate, graduate, and practitioner education in medicine, nursing, pharmacy and other clinical specialties, and provider opportunities for clinical research with our patients.
Seek the input of providers to develop novel services for our patient populations.
Be a leader in promoting wellness among our providers, staff, and patients.
Support career development of providers through inclusion of them in project teams, research projects, and leadership development activities, including coaching and training in improved patient satisfaction.
Recruit and retain superior providers and staff (including those employed by EMG and IUHP) through actions that recognize successes, address provider engagement, and address low performance among staff and providers in a timely fashion.
Eskenazi Health has been named to Becker's Hospital Review's 2018 list of "150 Great Places to Work In Health Care." This is the 3rd year in a row now that EH has received this honor.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Share This Page