Amazing Opportunity For A Hospitalist Nurse Practitioner At Eskenazi Medical Group
- - Providers
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Vacation, CME & Tuition Reimbursement
Eskenazi Medical Group (EMG) is seeking a highly qualified Nurse Practitioner to join its Hospitalist team. EMG is affiliated with Eskenazi Health and employs physician and advanced practice providers who support the Eskenazi Health system. A multi-specialty provider group, it strives to be a leading primary care provider serving all patients regardless of ability to pay or condition of health while advancing medicine through teaching and research.
Eskenazi Health is one of American's largest safety net health systems with more than 1 million outpatient visits each year. Partnering with the Indiana University School of Medicine, Eskenazi Health serves as the public hospital division of the Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County, Indiana. In addition to the 327-bed hospital located on its downtown Indianapolis campus, Eskenazi Health provides services at 10 federally qualified health care centers and multiple mental health sites and residential facilities located throughout Indianapolis. Eskenazi Health is accredited by The Joint Commission and has been highlighted as one of the nation's 150 best places to work by Becker's Hospital Review for four consecutive years.
Indianapolis offers affordable housing, excellent schools and a wealth of entertainment options, including a variety of amateur and professional sports teams, dynamic museums, live theater productions, symphony and opera concerts, a wide variety of shopping options and restaurants, and numerous outdoor festivals, as well as the famous Indy 500 race each May.
The APRN – Hospital will be assigned to be part of the hospitalist team that plans, directs, and manages patient's health care at Eskenazi Hospital. This APRN will be intricately involved in the inpatient hospital discharge process, providing care coordination and/or care transitions into a skilled nursing and/or rehab facility. The APRN will also follow the patient in the skilled nursing facility until an adequate and appropriate handoff to the facilities' attending providers have occurred. The APRN will have collaborative agreement(s) with inpatient Eskenazi Health physicians and/or Skilled Nursing Facility physicians that are in the Eskenazi network.
Eskenazi Medical Group employees are expected to model PRIDE values (Professionalism, Respect, Innovation, Development, and Excellence) and be positive representatives of our organization on and off the job. This earns the trust and respect necessary to serve all our customers with excellence. Employees proactively contribute to EMG's mission and professional goals: Advocate, Care, Teach and Serve.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND GENERAL DUTIES:
Clinical Practice and Education
1. The APRN, as part of the hospitalist team, acts as the primary provider that will manage hospitalized patients that have been identified to require skilled nursing services after leaving the hospital. They will standardize and lead a hospital discharge process and transitions of care program that is patient-centric and puts the patient at the right post-acute care network facility that best meets their needs for maximal recovery. This will include, but is not limited to:
a. Working closely with the patient, their family and/or caregivers, and case management
b. Ensure smooth and timely transfer to SNF facility
c. Reconciling discharge medications
d. Dictating a timely discharge summary
e. Providing necessary prescriptions for next level of care
f. Following up and communicating important and pending labs and tests results
g. Arranging and coordinating any necessary ancillary services
h. Develop an initial care plan and communicating that plan to the patient, their care giver/family, and the facility
i. Following the patient at the skilled nursing facility for up to 72 hours, or when a safe handoff is achieved, whichever comes sooner
j. Establish a process to monitor and evaluate the program's outcomes, quality, and patient satisfaction, and make recommendations for improvement
2. Participates in both hospital and SNF quality improvement review on a periodic basis, including systematic review of records and treatment plans, and helps disseminate findings and implement plans for improvement
3. Serves as a member of various EMG committees dealing with healthcare
4. Completes and maintains written records in a timely fashion and in compliance with NCQU and Eskenazi Health standards
5. Ensures documents are accurate, comprehensive and in a manner that is retrievable
6. Identifies patients whose illnesses are beyond the scope of their practice and collaborates with department physicians or specialty consultants as needed
7. Strives for improved patient care focusing on positive outcomes and cost effectiveness through the five primary roles of expert clinician, consultant, educator, researcher and leader
8. Maintains clinical skills requirements based on collaborating physician agreement and demonstrated competency as evidenced through training or check off by collaborating physician
9. Utilizes principles of performance improvement process to improve patient care
10. Maintains a flexible schedule to meet the needs of patients, staff and system
11. Utilizes prescriptive authority according to the Indiana statute and institutional guidelines
12. Carries out nursing responsibilities in a manner consistent with quality in nursing care and the ethical obligations of the profession
13. Impacts patient care indirectly by developing, implementing and evaluating standards of care, clinical practice guidelines, policies and procedures and through involvement in practice committees
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Graduation from an accredited school of nursing with a Master of Science degree
• Current Indiana license as a Registered Nurse or current registration with another State Board of Nursing followed by immediate registration with the Indiana Board of Nurse Examiners for license endorsement
• Collaborative agreement with affiliated physician group
• Current Indiana Controlled Substance and Drug Enforcement Registration
• Acute care and/or critical care experience
• SNF practice experience
• Home Health and Hospice experience desirable
Eskenazi Health system commitment: We will
Expect collegial and multidisciplinary approaches to problem solving from all providers working in our system.
Respect clinician autonomy where evidence for a standard of care has yet to be developed. Different approaches should be evaluated to determine the optimal ones, which should then be adopted broadly. Care pathways will be assessed based on quality/outcomes, effects on workflow, and costs.
Commit ourselves to improvement in quality, processes, and the work environment.
Share information openly regarding vision, mission, and strategy, and the progress towards meeting those targets.
Provide timely reporting on quality, volume, financial, and other operations metrics to providers.
Improve chains of communication between providers and administration to make decision making and problem solving as transparent as possible.
Promote Eskenazi Health as a superior learning environment for undergraduate, graduate, and practitioner education in medicine, nursing, pharmacy and other clinical specialties, and provider opportunities for clinical research with our patients.
Seek the input of providers to develop novel services for our patient populations.
Be a leader in promoting wellness among our providers, staff, and patients.
Support career development of providers through inclusion of them in project teams, research projects, and leadership development activities, including coaching and training in improved patient satisfaction.
Recruit and retain superior providers and staff (including those employed by EMG and IUHP) through actions that recognize successes, address provider engagement, and address low performance among staff and providers in a timely fashion.
Eskenazi Health has been named to Becker's Hospital Review's 2018 list of "150 Great Places to Work In Health Care." This is the 3rd year in a row now that EH has received this honor.