Amazing Opportunity For Night Shift Nurse Practitioner Critical Care Unit
- - Providers
- IN, USA
- Full Time
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Generous PTO, CME & Tuition Reimbursement
The Advanced Practice RN (APRN) Nurse Practitioner (NP) in Critical Care has a body of knowledge that surrounds the full spectrum of high-acuity patient care needs. The Critical Care Unit Nurse Practitioner provides restorative, curative, rehabilitative, palliative and maintenance care to patients in the intensive care settings. Overall, this position works as an educator, advocate and care provider and is responsible for the care and well-being of patients in the Critical Care Unit.
Eskenazi Medical Group employees are expected to model PRIDE values (Professionalism, Respect, Innovation, Development, and Excellence) and be positive representatives of our organization on and off the job. This earns the trust and respect necessary to serve all our customers with excellence. Employees proactively contribute to EMG's mission and professional goals: Advocate, Care, Teach and Serve.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Demonstrate advanced clinical expertise
• Development of differential diagnoses
• Use of medical reasoning to formulate the plan of care
• Order and prescription of pharmacological and other therapeutic therapy
• Planning and management of patient care across the acute care continuum
• Utilization and performance of invasive and non-invasive interventions and procedures to promote physiologic stability or obtain diagnostic information
• Serve as Critical Care link with the Rapid Response and Code Team and as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Preceptor
• Surveillance of care
• Accountability and authority for managing patient care outcomes across settings and boundaries
• Advocacy or patient agency
• Clinical leadership
• Managing and negotiating healthcare delivery systems on behalf of the patient and family
• Influencing changes within the Nurse Practitioner role as patients and system needs demand
• Promotion of health
• Providing care with an awareness that each patient is unique
• Use innovative techniques to effectively manage hospital resources to positively impact patient outcomes in a cost-effective manner.
• Alter activities/behaviors to reflect/ensure adequate care, maintain age and job- specific competencies appropriate to the age patients served (i.e. adolescent, geriatric, pediatric, neo-natal, adult) described in the area/unit age specific and/or job specific competencies.
• Provide assist in surgical procedures (arterial lines, central lines, para/thoracentesis bronchoscopies)
• Intervene with complex patients in areas of expertise to develop appropriate plans of care to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
ASSOCIATED JOB DUTIES:
• Utilize specialized knowledge and expertise to facilitate professional care delivery to patients.
• Through the five primary roles of expert clinician, consultant, educator, researcher, and leader, the Acute Care Nurse Practitioner will strive for improved patient care focusing on positive outcomes and cost effectiveness.
• Other responsibilities include modeling for staff aspects of professional practice, problem solving, decision-making and critical thinking skills.
• Clinical Practice: Serve as a resource for all health care providers in the patient care coordination and management outcomes.
• Impact patient care indirectly by developing, implementing and evaluating standards of care, clinical practice guidelines, policies and procedures and through involvement in practice committees.
• Coordinate the development of patient management tools (pathways, protocols) based on research findings.
• Complete comprehensive chart biopsies and present to attending physician.
• Utilize principles of performance improvement process to improve patient care.
• Maintain a flexible schedule as necessary to meet the needs of patients, staff and system.
• May utilize prescriptive authority according to the Indiana statue and institutional guidelines.
• Education: Conduct one-on-one patient and family teaching to facilitate adherence to care plan, promote a positive outcome and develop patient independence.
• Coordinate and present lectures to residents and sub-interns.
• Develop and implement educational material.
• Participate in outreach activities in the community to promote safety and wellness.
• Market educational programs to hospitals, institutions, nursing schools and the community to enhance the hospital's image.
• Contribute to the professional nursing literature.
• Consultation: Provide consultative services to health team members and Directors.
• Research: Critique pertinent research literature related to specialty areas and promotes research utilization to improve patient care. Participate in the conduction of research and clinical trials.
• Design product evaluations and implement the findings with attention to cost-effectiveness.
• Leadership/Management: Participate as an integral member of the leadership team.
• Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of departmental and organizational mission and goals.
• Serve as a role model, mentor and change agent for health care providers.
• Serve on committees as assigned (i.e., Critical Care, Donor Council, Nutrition Support, etc.)
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
SUPPLEMENTAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- · All job functions as listed in the APRN Nurse Practitioner Job description (AP600E9)
- · Utilization and performance of invasive and non-invasive interventions and procedures to promote physiologic stability or obtain diagnostic information.
- · Serve as a critical Care link with the Rapid Response and Code Team and as an acute care nurse practitioner preceptor
- · Provide assistance with surgical procedures (arterial lines, central lines, para/thoracentesis, bronchoscopies).
- · Intervene with complex patients in areas of expertise to develop appropriate plans of care to achieve optimal patient outcomes
- · Utilize specialized knowledge and expertise to facilitate professional care delivery to patients.
- · Complete comprehensive chart biopsies and present to attending physician.
- · Coordinate and present lectures to residents and sub-interns.
- · Develop and implement educational material
- · Provide consultative services to health team members and directors.
- · Critique pertinent research literature related to specialty areas and promote research utilization to improve patient care.
- · Participate in the conduction of research and clinical trials
- · Design product evaluations and implement the findings with attention to cost-effectiveness
- · Participate as an integral member of the leadership team.
- · Serve on committees as assigned (Critical Care, Donor Council, Nutrition Support, MQA, etc.)
JOB REQUIREMENTS SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
• Assess systems and patient's needs and function autonomously to develop and implements programs to improve patient care.
- · Expertise in the practice of nursing validated by five years of current clinical practice including two years in the area of specialty practice.
- · Critical Care Certification
· Additional privileging as requested to perform procedures independently:
o PICC line placement and removal
o Central line placement and removal
o Admitting privileges
o Arterial line placement and removal
certification required; ACLS recommended
Eskenazi Health system commitment: We will
Expect collegial and multidisciplinary approaches to problem solving from all providers working in our system.
Respect clinician autonomy where evidence for a standard of care has yet to be developed. Different approaches should be evaluated to determine the optimal ones, which should then be adopted broadly. Care pathways will be assessed based on quality/outcomes, effects on workflow, and costs.
Commit ourselves to improvement in quality, processes, and the work environment.
Share information openly regarding vision, mission, and strategy, and the progress towards meeting those targets.
Provide timely reporting on quality, volume, financial, and other operations metrics to providers.
Improve chains of communication between providers and administration to make decision making and problem solving as transparent as possible.
Promote Eskenazi Health as a superior learning environment for undergraduate, graduate, and practitioner education in medicine, nursing, pharmacy and other clinical specialties, and provider opportunities for clinical research with our patients.
Seek the input of providers to develop novel services for our patient populations.
Be a leader in promoting wellness among our providers, staff, and patients.
Support career development of providers through inclusion of them in project teams, research projects, and leadership development activities, including coaching and training in improved patient satisfaction.
Recruit and retain superior providers and staff (including those employed by EMG and IUHP) through actions that recognize successes, address provider engagement, and address low performance among staff and providers in a timely fashion.
Eskenazi Health has been named to Becker's Hospital Review's 2018 list of "150 Great Places to Work In Health Care." This is the 3rd year in a row now that EH has received this honor.